Try a Free 1:1 Virtual Class!

Personal Best Karate

Four tips on Personal Protection with your children

Posted: May 17, 2019

By Master Christopher Rappold

When I conduct self-defense seminars, I frequently am asked questions about being alone in a dark parking lot. The simple answer always follows… DON’T BE! With so many more options for parking, always choose lit spots over dark allies and whenever possible to be sure to park in populated areas. Bright lights and lots of people will take care of 95 percent of it and allow you to feel safe.

While we have a choice in most cases of where to park, we often don’t have the choice of not having our children with us. And while I will tell you that the stats on child abduction are somewhere as likely as getting hit by lightening, it does happen. So as a parent what are a few things we can do to keep our younger children when they are with us safe?

Invest $4 to receive $96 back

Posted: May 17, 2019

By Master Christopher Rappold

The ultimate leverage for a healthy life: invest $4 and get back $96. How good does that sound to you?  Do the math; it is a 24,000% return!!  Imagine going to Las Vegas with those odds in your favor, I don’t think they would have the money left to build anymore big resorts.  What about investing money in the stock market?  You invest $4 and you get back $96, again a 24,000% return!  Won’t be too long before you are purchasing a second home and an island to put it on.  

When we think in terms of examples like these, it is clear to see the power of the investment. But invest 4% of our day (ONE hour) to give yourself the other 96% (23 hours) of being more productive, less stressed and able to enjoy a deeper more restful sleep, some will still turn away, citing everything from “I don’t have enough time” to “it’s just not for me.”    

The Five Ways We Benefit From Relaxing

Posted: May 17, 2019

Reprinted from

With the rushed busyness of our hectic lifestyle, we often underestimate the power of relaxation. Most of us have a massive to-do list each day, and we feel we can't afford to slow our pace or we'll quickly fall behind. However, we fail to acknowledge the ways that relaxation can increase our stamina, clear our thoughts, and allow us to get much more accomplished with less effort.

The other day, I put this theory to the test, and decided to spend an afternoon and evening doing the unthinkable: nothing. I was feeling stressed and run down by a crazy schedule, and even though I had a ton of stuff that needed to be done, I decided to just stop, put everything aside and do... nothing!

Five Ways To Be A Perfect Sideline Parent

Posted: May 17, 2019

By Master Christopher Rappold

When your child shows up for that first martial arts class, you become a “sports parent”. Most of us relish our time as parents and strive to make the most of this wonderful adventure. However, there are those who give sports and parents a bad name. So what can you do to avoid becoming sidelined monster? Follow some basic common sense rules.

1. Start the day right. Yes, have a good healthy breakfast and carry healthy snacks and drinks, but more importantly, start the day in the proper frame of mind. Keep it light and positive on the drive to the event. When you arrive, you may quickly go over anything that needs to be gone over, but remembers the words, “I love you.” And remember, on the return trip, give your child time to absorb the win or defeat. Don’t criticize everything.

How to Make Health and Wellness part of your Family’s Lifestyle

Posted: May 17, 2019

By Master Christopher Rappold

As adults, we are responsible for our lifestyle choices and in many cases, our children’s lifestyles. Whether or not our children get enough exercise and eat healthy foods has a lot to do with the example we set for them and the choices we provide them with.

According to USA Today, the percentage of children who are overweight has doubled in the last 20 years! But don’t blame the kids. Keith Ayoob, an associate Professor of pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine says, “I never see a child who has better eating habits than his parents. ”Children eat the foods that are served to them or what is easily available at school or home. Family rules and routines can compromise exercise any time they like, but an eight-year-old more than likely requires supervision. Children have obstacles to overcome when it comes to lifestyle choices.

‹ First  Newer Post 25 Older Post  Last ›

Recent Posts